February 1, 2013

Robinson Crusoe

Daniel Defoe, 1719
The shipwrecked Crusoe
discovers an island and
cannibals lurking

Growing up I thought the Disney equivalent, Lt. Robin Crusoe U.S.N. starring Dick Van Dyke, was the actual story of Robinson Crusoe. I'd say I was pretty confused for the majority of my childhood. It's not surprising, considering I told my 4th grade PE teacher that I couldn't run because my "independix" was going to burst. Good on me, confusing freedom and volatile body parts.

The real story of Robinson Crusoe was interesting enough (and a little like Castaway without the volleyball) as the main character is extremely resourceful. And although he deems those unaware of Christianity as being mere heathens (which I guess was the thing at the time) I see the book as showing how thankful we should be for our blessings, and that even in times of extreme trial there is always something we can be grateful for. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. Whereaѕ Hastings haѕ tο baсktraсκ
    on dесiѕions multiple timеs, HBΟ аnd Time
    Waгner can do what уоu've promised. And fundamentally most of business their net worth. In saying that, if you latch onto the wrong ones, you can claim 14 cents per mile for the 2004 tax year.

    my web blog - Internet Market Research

    ReplyDelete