February 16, 2013

Les Misérables

The story of life
and all of its struggles through
one criminal's eyes

"So long as there shall exist, by reason of law and custom, a social condemnation, which, in the face of civilization, artificially creates hells on earth, and complicates a destiny that is divine, with human fatality; so long as the three problems of the age — the degradation of man by poverty, the ruin of woman by starvation, and the dwarfing of childhood by physical and spiritual night — are not solved; so long as, in certain regions, social asphyxia shall be possible; in other words, and from a yet more extended point of view, so long as ignorance and misery remain on earth, books like this cannot be useless." This is the preface that Hugo wrote for the book...how can you ignore something so profound?

While I wouldn't suggest reading the unabridged version, I'll admit I feel a sort of pride that I did. (The bad pride, not the good kind.) I would have preferred however, to finish it in less than two years... This book offers a beautiful look at a life that is filled with mistakes and trying desperately to atone for them. I don't see how anyone could not love Jean Valjean. And if you think you don't have time to read the book, then at least see the musical. I hear it's great. *weep weep* (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

3 comments:

  1. Discovered your blog today and love it! I have long thought that I should get more serious with my reading. Thanks for the push!
    Will be back here I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. And I love the picture in the header. It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to present you with the Leibster Blog Award - The Liebster Blog award is presented to blogs that the presenter believes should be recognized. It is given to "small blogs" - those with fewer than 200 followers. You might have heard of it ... but if you haven't do stop by my blog and check it out. quiltinginindia.blogspot.com
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete