April 16, 2013

Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins, 2010
Katniss must become
the symbol of hope for all
the districts combined

My husband and I were both super excited for the release of this book, but for some reason, right after we got it we got busy with other things and suddenly a year had passed and neither of us had read it. (If this means we're not diehard fans, so be it.) I'm not sure if maybe the span of time between reading the other books in the series had anything to do with it, but I didn't enjoy this one at all.

This story seemed nowhere near as interesting as the first two. It's possible that my beef is with trilogies (or tetralogies in the case of Twilight...). It was sad to see something so cool come to such a blah conclusion. But then, I'm of the opinion that there should have been only one Pirates of the Caribbean movie. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

5 comments:

  1. Agreed on "Pirates." And I stopped after the first Hunger Games book because I a) was annoyed by Katniss and b) didn't like that these books are being marketed to VERY young kids and are about kids killing kids. I just disagree with kids reading adult-themed books at such a young age. Hopping off my soap box now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know someone agrees about POTC. :)

      Delete
  2. I actually loved Pirates 2 because I thought Davy Jones was the coolest bad guy ever, but I hated Pirates 3. And Wes and I read Mockingjay within 24 hours of its release. I really loved it, but my dad agreed with you...so you're not alone! I kind of had an idea of how she'd end it because I've read her Gregor the Overlander series and read a lot of interviews by her and knew she was going to leave us feeling a little empty and sad with her ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! I was worried this post might put our friendship in jeopardy. :) Saved by Jim Grimes. (Never thought I'd say those words.)

      Delete
    2. It was a close one. You're lucky that a) my dad is also a literary snob and b) that we have such a long history and I decided a long time ago that you're a Booey Wooey Woo.

      Delete