June 1, 2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Truman Capote, 1958
Holly Golightly
does what she wants and leaves a
trail of men behind

If you were hoping for the plot of the 1961 film starring Audrey Hepburn, you're out of luck. Although there are obvious similarities, this novella is not a romantic comedy. I'll be honest, I don't even really like the movie. I know there will be some astonished gasps after this confession, but I just don't really get it. The characters are so quirky (and a little sketchy) and I've never been able to fully enjoy it.

Same goes for the book. The narrator of the story ("Paul" in the movie) remains unnamed and doesn't have a relationship with Holly other than a kind of admiration/fascination. She's just the kind of girl that gets under people's skin, I guess. She marches to the beat of a drum, but I don't think it's hers, and I don't know if she even knows what kind of drum it is, or where all this marching is taking her. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

4 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for admitting you don't like that movie. I didn't get it, either -- and people gush about it! Glad to know the book isn't spectacular either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do gush. I did notice though, that you love the song "Moon River". I think I like the melody without the words best. :)

      Delete
  2. I've only heard the song Breakfast at Tiffany's, but I've never seen the movie. I didn't really like the song, so if its any indication of what the movie's like then I probably wouldn't like it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA they're totally unrelated. In fact I read that the song was actually inspired by the movie "Roman Holiday". And that was on the internet, so we know it was reliable. :)

      Delete