May 16, 2013

Charly

Sam learns to see past
old mistakes and discovers
the love of his life

I came upon a copy of this book on my mother's shelf sometime in the early '90s, and although the Farrah Fawcett hairstyle of the woman on the original cover may not have initially drawn me in, I gave it a shot, and I'm glad I did. I loved the story and I LOVED the idea of a Mormon author writing about Mormons (as if I couldn't believe that any member of my faith had the skills or talent required to write a book).

Jack Weyland is not only the most prolific writer of YA fiction for the LDS audience, but he's also probably the reason this genre even exists. While attending college at BYU-Idaho he became my bishop. It was the best ward I was ever a part of, and much of its success has to be attributed to him. "Author" is just one of Jack's many hats.   (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, too. Charly has such a cute personality. I hadn't ever thought of Jack Weyland starting the genre, but he totally did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have read this book in 1999, but 2002 had to do. I agree that its a fantastic book written by a fantastic person.

    ReplyDelete